GEM was designed in response to an ever growing passion to educate people about the lies told and sold in mass media and how those lies impact us in tremendous ways in which most do not seem to understand.
of sexualization and objectification of females in mass media is the fact that the “outcomes”; the damages are WELL known. Yet, no one is really talking about it. Sure sexualization has always been around. But, we are fighting a different beast. Never before in history have we experienced such an overload of media so heavily saturated with sexualization and objectification. The amount, the intake and the outcome is highly alarming. I have to believe… ‘If YOU only knew…if YOU only knew, things would be different’.
I don’t know that I can really explain all of the different emotions surging through my body and the thoughts racing through my mind at that time. Up until this point in my life I had always been a fairly confident female. But it took only an instant to shake me and around four months to completely break me. I felt, I must be nothing but the equivalent of a speck of dust in the corner of a room somewhere. All the emotions of being alone, it only happens to me, no one else has experienced this and all the ‘normal’ reactions crushed me. Through this experience I did what I do, studied in many ways, on many levels and learned as much as I could about what ‘just happened to me’ and faced a frightening reality. I found that I was far, far from the only one! I saw the facts. I listened, I read and I learned.
I remember having a conversation with someone very verse and educated in a related field of study. I asked her
‘WHY’ is this allowed to continue? How can the powers that be just ignore this health problem? The answer was money but she didn’t feel it could be ignored much longer because the statistics were too great.
During this time frame, I sat and watched my daughter. I watched my sons. I watched my students. And I began to think about the prospect of these innocent ones being damaged by a hypersexualized environment where females are portrayed as only sexual objects. A curriculum unit was designed around this concern and I began to search for more statistics targeting children and youth. What I found through both avenues was simply heartbreaking.
Yes, we were all being hurt! We ARE being hurt. Who will protect the children if we don’t? How can we protect them if we are not even protecting ourselves? Who will stand up?
At some point, we have to face the facts. The statistics are not wrong. There have simply been too many studies to show the truth. I have also personally spoken with too many individuals and I’ve personally seen the mess it creates. A person can say, all day long, that cancer does not kill. But the stastics say otherwise. Many people and companies argued that tobacco wasn’t a problem but it was (and is).
As I mentioned, it has been two years since my psychiatrist friend told me something would have too change because the information was too great. But nothing has changed! Well…
And since change has to start somewhere, let it be with me and The GEM Seminar!
The GEM Seminar
This seminar can be held for men, women, co-eds, couples and youth for any group or organization.
What you and/or your group will gain from this seminar:
1. Hard core statistics concerning percentages of sexualized images in the vast arena of media in which you and your family are exposed.
2. Facts concerning the bombardment of the various forms of media in YOUR home and family.
3. Feedback from the psychology world on the damages to men, women and children. This does include you. No one is immune.
4. Real life stories that delve into the heart of the damage.
5. You will walk away with the ability to discern the real from the fake.
6. You will be armed with knowledge and education that will empower you to fight back and protect.
7. You will recognize the hidden agenda behind sexualization and how this agenda impacts your every day life.
8. You will understand the psychology behind advertising and the combinations used to pack a powerful punch within your subconcious mind.
9. You will have truth to enable you to walk a healthier path and fight for your true rights and freedom.
The seminar can be customized to speak to specific interests or needs concerning this very important topic.
Click the contact button below or check out the form to your right to book Sharon for your seminar, now.
GEM is the Girls’ Empowerment Movement.
This movement is designed to shake, break and recreate how females are portrayed in media. We must ban together and rise up to:
1. Protect females’ innate feminine characteristics while standing strong in their right to be humans and not objects.
2. Protect our children from the damages of negative and sexualized portrayals such as intimacy and eating disorders.
3. Protect the males’ true masculine characteristics while keeping them safe from damages that can and do lead to disorders and distortions.
4. Push to have laws implemented to ensure our culture moves forward in a postive manner, leaving behind sexualization.
A “Taking it Back” Campaign for True Media Change…
Join the GEM! It is FREE!
Help us make a difference, by rising up with us through this petition. Fill in the form below!
Thank you on behalf of our men, women and children!
Sharon G. Cobb
Get Your Badge For Your Site or Blog!